7 Steps to Success In Life –
Step 3: Create a Road-map of Your Journey
If you’ve been keeping up with my blog, you’d know that in my most recent posts, I’ve covered 2 of the 7 steps to success in life.
So, having read my blogs you’ve decided to stop being buffeted around by the winds o chance and take control of your life. My heartiest congratulations to you!
Then, you thought long and hard about where wanted to go and set some really specific goals for your life. Perfect! You’ve cleared the second of my 7 steps to success in life.
Go ahead and achieve that goal, you say?
But how exactly will you do that?
If you’re confused by my question, let me use a simple example to make things a bit clearer for you.
I will assume that your goal is to lose 15 pounds before Christmas. It’s a specific goal, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time bound. In other words, it’s a SMART goal.
But my question remains: How do you propose to lose 15 pounds before Christmas?
What kind of a diet are you going to follow?
How many cheat days will you give yourself in a month?
What kind of exercises are you going to do – yoga, Pilates, running, cycling, swimming?
How many times a week will you exercise?
Will you work out before going to work? Or afterwards?
These, and many other such details, will have to be ironed out if you’re serious about achieving your goal.
Remember what I said in one of my earlier blogs? Vague and unclear promises are no good. They make it difficult to track your progress. Without a proper plan, you just might find yourself veering away from your goal. And what a pity that would be!
This is why it’s so important to create a roadmap of your journey, which, incidentally, is also the third of my 7 steps to success in life.
What is a road-map?
I’d like to think of a roadmap as a series of short-term goals that connect to the larger picture you have in mind. They are milestones that help you assess your progress and let you know from time to time if you’re on track.
Most people don’t understand the value of making short-term goals. For them, only the BIG prize matters. What they forget is that success doesn’t materialize overnight. Any big achievement is always made of countless small ones and each achievement has hours of planning behind it. So don’t ignore your short-term goals because they’re stepping stones to the grand prize.
If you need more convincing, here are
5 reasons why short-term goals are crucial to achieving success in life:
- They give you quick results: Long-term goals, by their very nature, take a substantial amount of time to be realized. Short-term goals, on the other hand, can be achieved more quickly and give you faster feedback on your progress.
- They impart a sense of purpose: Even though small goals do not define the larger dream you’re working towards, they do give you the determination to constantly move ahead.
- They motivate you: Unlike the frustration that’s associated with long-term projects, smaller wins keep you motivated and give you reasons to celebrate. Furthermore, when you’re able to tick small goals off your list, you feel confident and in control of your life.
- They bring peace of mind: When you’re working towards a larger goal, it’s common to lose perspective. Smaller goals achieved in a timely manner bring in clarity of thought. They cut through confusion, reduce anxiety, and prevent you from going off track.
- They facilitate better use of time and energy: Random tasks done in a random manner can be extremely time-consuming. But when you plan things down to the last detail, you’re able to use your time better and reduce energy drain.
These are just some of the reasons why creating a roadmap features so prominently among the 7 steps to success in life. As you can see they are incredibly useful. More importantly, they are critical to your success story. So don’t ignore short-term goals because these systematic milestones are welcome reminders that your journey is going well.
On that note, I am going to take your leave, but do check back soon for the next installment of my blog. It will share yet another nugget of wisdom, which will bring you one step closer to being prosperous in life.
Also, why don’t you take some time out to go through this highly inspiring 7 Steps to Results guide. I can personally vouch for it, as can 100,000 people from around the world who have used its principles to be successful in life. The guide is 100% free and it can set you off on a fulfilling journey within just 15 minutes.
Do yourself a favor and check out the 7 Steps to Results guide right away.